As spring morphs into summer, there’s loads to do in the garden. Grab your secateurs and budding knife, and let’s get cracking!
Chooks change up aged care
Costa meets some of the wonderful staff and residents in a residential aged care home where chooks wander the corridors, and kids pop in from the local school to help with the vegie gardens. It’s a program called HenPower, and the benefits are palpable.
A deck adds a whole extra living space to your home. There are many choices of surface… timber boards, plastic composites, fire-safe boards, slip-proof surfaces… Deryn Thorpe helps you work out which boards are best for you, and offers tips for care and upkeep.
Why do we deadhead? Learn the science behind this common gardening practice. And drink your fill of heritage roses in a Clare Valley garden owned by Walter Duncan, a man recognised on the world stage for his contribution to the world’s favourite flower.
The latest on Wollemi pines
Young ones make great Aussie Christmas trees, while mature specimens make striking garden features, with bark like chocolate crackles. Add a dinosaur connection and a trip into space, and you have the botanical curiosity that is the Wollemi pine. Tim Entwisle reviews what we now know about growing it in the home garden.
When plants turn into weeds
Ever had a plant that was innocuous, even much loved, and got a bit out of control? It’s a case of ‘the one that got away’… and Jackie French has lots of them!
Oranges & lemons
If you only have room for one citrus tree in the garden, you might be pleased to know that you can grow multiple types of citrus fruit on that one specimen. This step by step sequence shows you exactly how to graft different stock onto one tree.
Also in this issue
- Add some spice to your life with edible ginger
- Discover the attractive leaves and brush-like flowers of an old favourite, hebe
- Plant liliums for a striking vertical accent in the garden through the warm months
- Learn what to do when you find a bird on the ground
- Meet a bird with a bad attitude: the Horsfield’s bronze-cuckoo
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine, or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- SAVE up to $58 on the normal cover price
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Every issue conveniently delivered straight to your door
- Automatic subs club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- Treat yourself or someone special
- Receive a bonus ABC Gardening Australia calendar or diary worth $15.95 – lovely to look at and perfect for all your gardening notes!
Pay just $59 for 12 issues, 1 year’s worth delivered straight to your door!
Visit www.mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.