It’s sow time… climbing, twining time… and early-season vegie time! Spring is in the air, so get out your gardening gloves and spread a little happiness around your patch with the September issue of ABC Gardening Australia magazine.
Seeds all sown up
Few things are more satisfying in the garden than nurturing a tiny seed into a full-blown plant. Whether you want to brighten up your borders or pick something for the pot, Tino Carnevale is your guide to getting your seeds to germinate, grow and put on a fabulous show…
Heirlooms in the bank
…And it’s even more fascinating to sow seeds that have been cherished for generations. Sophie Thomson probes the reasons why some seeds survive over the centuries: flavour, performance, and yield for starters. Then think variety – you can select for shape, size, colour, texture – heirlooms just keep on keeping on.
On the trail of jasmine
Follow your nose as spring unfurls and you may be surprised by how many forms of jasmine you find – not just the familiar ‘stinky pinky’ and star jasmine, but yellow-flowered, variegated leafed, angel wings and more, climbing, twining, spreading up and along any available vertical or horizontal plane.
Tomatoes in a small space
Some varieties are just made for growing in pots – you don’t even need to stake them! So, if you’re limited to a courtyard or balcony, or your vegie patch is already groaning, check out this guide to growing compact, heavy-cropping tomatoes in tubs and pots.
Beans are easy to grow, crop in plentiful numbers, and even children seem to get a kick out of snacking on them in the garden. Whether you fancy a Lazy Housewife or a Giant Stuttgart, a Purple King or a Dragon’s Tongue, there’s a bean for every climate. Snap to it!
Enchanted by a lost world
A unique display garden and nursery near Geelong in Victoria is a living example of how cacti and succulents can be blended with other plants to create a low-maintenance landscape of great beauty. Meet the man and see the magic behind Roraima.
Also in this issue
- Follow the winding path through a cottage garden made for Aussie living
- Meet a scientist saving threatened native orchids
- Find out why lithops or ‘living stones’ are worth collecting
- Give one of the new double lavenders a try
- Try our new seasonal cake, baked from sweet spring carrots
- Learn how to level your lawn + check out 50 more jobs to do in the garden this month
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine, or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- SAVE up to $58 on the normal cover price
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Every issue conveniently delivered straight to your door
- Automatic subs club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- Treat yourself or someone special
- BONUS GIFT: choose an ABC Gardening Australia magazine 2018 diary or calendar, worth $15.95 each!
Pay just $59 for 12 issues, 1 year’s worth delivered straight to your door!
Visit www.mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.