Do you know how to train and prune a climbing rose? Or how to create a beautiful hanging basket? The May issue shows you this and much more.
If you’ve never grown one before, jump in now, with expert advice from Elizabeth Swane on choosing the right climbing rose for the spot, and tips on training, pruning and general care. If you’re an old hand, but always with an eye out for something new, see our lists of small, large and vigorous cultivars, and pick up some extra growing tips.
All in one basket
Create a hanging basket to be proud of. Inspired by the spectacular displays seen in Europe, Deryn Thorpe shows you how to choose your basket, decide on a great combination of plants, and put the whole thing together in creative and satisfying ways.
Herbs & vegies
Get some fresh greens on your plate – grow your own crop of English spinach with Sabrina Hahn’s practical tips. Check out ways to preserve herbs by drying, freezing or preserving in vinegar, oil or condiments with Marcelle Nankervis; and give good old potatoes a go, in trenches or large containers.
Josh Byrne visits a Perth home and garden project where like-minded souls have banded together to create a thoroughly modern shared living space. Private gardens mix with communal ones, allowing everyone to share in bees, chooks, a vegie patch and other garden desirables.
Michael McCoy continues the design series with a study of how the mix of hard and soft surfaces in a garden is more than just visual. He explores the sensory pleasures of moving from grass to paving to wood to gravel…
Turning leaves into pumpkins
See how Jackie French turns the great free bounty of autumn – fallen leaves – into temporary vegie beds and, ultimately, pumpkins!
Also in this issue:
* tree dahlia * arthritis in pets * meet the gardener: Clive Blazey
* an ugly Sydney site transformed into a beautiful native parkland
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine, or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- SAVE up to $58.76 on the normal cover price
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Every issue conveniently delivered FREE to your door
- Automatic subs club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- Treat yourself or someone special – it’s the ideal Mothers Day gift and will last a lifetime
- You could WIN a 7 night luxury escape on the Sunshine Coast valued at $5770!
Pay just $59 for 12 issues, 1 year’s worth delivered FREE to your door!
Visit www.mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.