Is your timber deck in need of a spruce-up for summer? Our outdoor spaces are so important for enjoying the warm weather, so when family and friends descend on your house, make sure the deck is gleaming. Follow these tips to get ready for the foot traffic.
- Pressure wash or use a hard broom and a water jet from the hose to clean off any dirt, dust and grime that have accumulated over the winter months.
- Allow the boards to dry, then sand back any stubborn marks or stains. If you want to switch from oil-based to water-based finish, you need to strip back to bare wood now.
- Use a specialist wood cleaner to brighten the boards before re-coating.
- Decide whether to apply a transparent coating or a stain for a more intense colour, and calculate how much product you will need to cover the area.
- Shaken or stirred yet? Do the right thing and read the manufacturer’s instructions so you prepare well, have all the right tools and get the best result.
- Brighten up the deck with a few pots of colour and some new scatter cushions, and invite everyone over for the first barbecue of the season!
For advice on choosing boards for a new deck, pick up the November issue of ABC Gardening Australia magazine.