There’s plenty to keep you busy in the winter garden. Here are some top jobs to take care of now.
- Water in the morning so foliage has time to dry throughout the day.
- Plant seedlings of candytuft, primula, calendula, delphinium, dianthus, lupin, larkspur, foxglove and Iceland poppy for colourful blooms in late winter and spring.
- Bring flowering cymbidium orchids indoors where you can enjoy their display.
- Lift and divide clumps of Peruvian lilies (Alstroemeria hybrids).
- Cut cannas to ground level and cover exposed cuts with mulch.
- Remove old, tatty leaves from hellebores as soon as the new buds start to emerge.
- Keep worm farms going through winter by moving them to a sunnier spot and covering them with an old towel or blanket.
- Visit camellia gardens or specialist nurseries to check out interesting new varieties.
- Plant winter-blooming aloes for added colour.
- Trim Cootamundra and Mount Morgan wattles when they finish flowering to prevent unwanted seeding into bushland.
You’ll find more than 50 gardening jobs or projects to do this month, including protecting plants from winter winds, planting deciduous fruit trees and tidying up kangaroo paw, in the June 2021 issue of ABC Gardening Australia magazine, out now.