Summer is in full swing and it’s time to prepare before the holidays… and the heat! Here are 10 jobs you can get stuck into in your fruit or vegie garden this month.
- Arrange for a neighbour or friend to water your garden and harvest your patch if you’re going away on holiday
- Sow a green manure crop into spare beds that you’re resting for the summer, then dig it in at the end of the season
- Cover your glasshouse roof with shadecloth for the summer months,
and make sure it’s well ventilated
- Ensure tomato plants have enough support to handle their developing crops, and check regularly as they grow
- Hand-pollinate pumpkin, zucchini, cucumber and squash flowers to improve crop returns
- Inspect pears, cherries and quinces for any early signs of pear and cherry slugs grazing on the surface of leaves
- Water leafy greens daily during hot weather to avoid bitterness and deter plants from bolting to flower
- Trim back sweet potato runners, and steam the tips or use in stir-fries
- Pick up fallen fruit fly-infested fruit, seal in a plastic bag, and leave it in
a sunny spot to ‘cook’ the larvae
- Apply a horticultural oil spray to citrus trees each fortnight to deter citrus leaf miners, which attack the leaves
You’ll find more than 50 gardening jobs or projects to do this month, including step-by-step guides on how to train young fruit trees and propagate an aloe plant, in the December 2021 issue of ABC Gardening Australia magazine, out now.