Embrace the festive season with edible, decorative and fragrant plants, keep your garden cool this summer, and be inspired by local and overseas garden design.
What to do if you’ve been seduced by a well-grown gardenia at the nursery, knowing it could be difficult to keep happy in a pot? Follow our expert’s five tips and you’ll have glossy green foliage and fragrant flowers all summer.
Christmas wouldn’t be the same without juicy sweet cherries. And if you live in zones with enough chill hours, you can grow your own. Tino Carnevale explains how to plant and care for a cherry tree.
Poinsettias on point
The poinsettia has become the universal flower of Christmas, often used decoratively or presented as a gift. But there’s more to this blazing beauty than the traditional red hue of its flowers, with breeding resulting in an array of colours.
Small space, big impact
Think you don’t have room for a decent-looking garden and outdoor entertainment area? Michael McCoy visits a compact inner-city courtyard garden that has been cleverly designed to increase the sense of space.
Beat the heat
From sudden storms to scorching-hot temperatures and too little water, summer conditions can take a toll on your garden. Our horticultural experts answer six reader queries about managing the season’s stresses.
Streamline your home irrigation system and reduce water wastage with drippers, soakers and sprinklers that deliver water where it’s needed, whether to garden beds, lawns, or containers on a balcony.
Many popular perfumes and colognes contain floral scents that you can grow in your own garden. Discover which flowers are used in specific fragrances, and how to cultivate them.
Also in this issue
- A step-by-step guide to turning a large shrub into a small tree
- Plant sweetcorn, pick mangoes, and grow basil in pots
- Get out and about to garden shows and events this summer
- Top jobs to do in your garden this month
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine, or renew or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- Be in the running to WIN a trip for two to Vietnam and Cambodia, including a four-night Mekong River cruise, valued at up to $12,000
- Save $71 off the normal cover price when you subscribe for two years, or save $31 when you subscribe for one year
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Have every issue conveniently delivered straight to your door
- Enjoy automatic Subs Club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- It’s a great way to treat yourself or someone special
Visit mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.