The September issue welcomes spring with exciting new sections and more of the practical advice you love, all wrapped up in a fresh new look. Here’s a taste of what’s inside.
The seasonal pot
A single large container filled with flowers, grasses or succulents can transform an outdoor space from drab to fab. Here is a recipe for a lightly scented spring pot, with plants lists, step-by-step planting guide, and advice on keeping it looking good.
It’s that time of year when sweet peas are scenting the air, and gardeners are picking them for vases inside. Read up on varieties, tips for growing and problem solving, and start planning your blooms for next year.
Bring in the birds and bees with these Australian flowering shrubs, which can also be grown as groundcovers or cultivated as small trees. Josh Byrne steps you through their preferred conditions and how to have success in marginal areas.
Social media has made it easy for home growers to share and swap their crops. See how various Facebook groups, websites and apps are enabling gardeners to connect with their community, reduce waste, save money, eat seasonally, and disrupt the way we access our food.
More than just a decorative feature, edging provides an essential service, keeping plants in their place and preventing lawns from invading garden beds. Get a run down on materials and styles to suit every taste and budget.
In the patch
Tango with mangoes – get growing advice and info on varieties from someone who really knows their fruit. Also, grow carrots in containers, plant basil and pick asparagus. And how far can you harvest cut-and-come again lettuce without killing it?
Also in this issue
- Vegetable or fruit? Tim Entwisle explores the complexities of rogue edibles
- Lure of a loquat… Why Jackie French can’t get enough of this enigmatic fruit
- King fern is a striking feature plant for warm, protected areas
- The annual Patio Festival in Córdoba, Spain, is a glorious riot of potted colour
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine, or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- SAVE up to $63 on the normal cover price
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Every issue conveniently delivered straight to your door
- Automatic subs club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- Treat yourself or someone special
- This month, go into the draw for a chance to win a prize pack comprising an Aladdin vacuum flask and two beautiful gardening books, valued at $119
Pay just $59 for 12 issues, 1 year’s worth delivered straight to your door!
Visit www.mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.