In the March 2020 issue, discover spring-flowering bulbs for warm climates, create a private garden oasis, plant salad and soup staples, and check out Sophie’s nifty herb table.
Bulbs for warm climates
Your garden doesn’t need a cool climate to put on a spectacular spring bulb show. Lilies, babianas, and freesias are just a few of the failsafe options for warmer zones.
Palms in pots
￼￼￼Whether you’re going for a tropical Bali vibe, old-world Victorian elegance or a Mediterranean look, there’s a palm for that. We select 10 of the best for growing in containers.
Privacy screening for your garden
From quick-fix and DIY ideas to more permanent solutions, there are many stylish ways to block the view into your private space using plants, screens, pergolas, sunshades, sails, curtains and blinds.
Grow your own vegies
In the patch this month, we start a lettuce crop, grow beetroot in pots, and get tips from Tino Carnevale for producing perfect carrots and parsnips.
Sophie’s herb table
Sophie Thomson takes us through the autumn changeover of her herb table, when she turfs the spent plants and replenishes with fresh winter herbs.
Jennifer Stackhouse’s tree change
Five years ago, the horticulturist and gardening writer upped stumps and moved to north-west Tasmania to grow her favourite cool-climate plants. We drop by to see how the move has panned out.
The facts about phosphorus
We reveal everything you need to know about this essential soil nutrient, including how to tell if your soil is low in phosphorus, and which plants need more or less.
Also in this issue
- Grow rare and collectable trilliums in cool climates
- Learn how to propagate rex begonias from leaf cuttings
- Read about Jackie French’s maple syrup harvest
- Attend the first of autumn’s garden shows and events
- Check out 50-plus jobs to do in your garden this month
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- Be in the running to WIN one of 170 mixed hyacinth 10-bulb packs, valued at $29
- Save $71 off the normal cover price when you subscribe for two years, or save $31 when you subscribe for one year
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Have every issue conveniently delivered straight to your door
- Enjoy automatic Subs Club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- It’s a great way to treat yourself or someone special
Visit mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.