It’s all things Patch this month, with a 26-page vegie-growing special. Raised beds, compost, crop protection, what to plant, and how to grow more of it… plus your usual array of fabulous plants and seasonal advice!
Raised vegie beds
Timber, steel, ready-made, flat pack, wicking, DIY… There are heaps of ways to set up raised beds in the patch, and this story shows you around some great choices.
10 ways to grow more food
Who doesn’t want more of a good thing? Learn how to maximise production of those yummy home-grown vegies in whatever sized space you have.
Here’s all you need to know about converting organic materials into ‘nature’s gold’, from choosing bins, bays or barrels, to balancing moisture content and aerating the pile.
What to grow now for spring and summer eating
There’s ‘fast food’ – crops that give you a quick return – such as pak choy and lettuce. And there are the crops worth waiting for, which will see you through summer – think tomatoes, potatoes, melons and corn. Josh Byrne and Sophie Thomson share their expert tips.
Protect your crops
We love sharing our gardens with wildlife, but not when they eat all our crops! Boost your harvest with the right kind of netting, fencing and exclusion bags.
Best shrubs for balls
Whether your garden is formal, cottagey or modern, a well-clipped ‘ball’ or two gives lovely contrast and structure to your plantings. See which plants are best for clipping, and grab your shears.
Seasonal indoor pot
For a touch of potted glamour, plant up an elegant indoor arrangement featuring pretty peperomias, dangly pothos and other favourites in a big shallow bowl.
What about the Wollemis?
Last summer, the only stand of Wollemi pines known to exist in the wild came precariously close to burning down. How were they saved, what is their status now, and how do collectors around the world grow these ancient plants?
Fall in love with these dainty flowers that have a bell-shaped trumpet, like a voluminous crinoline skirt, and small, narrow, flared petals.
Also in this issue
- A thriving naturalistic garden in Western Australia
- Jackie French’s tips for growing and cooking quinces
- Step-by-step guide to planting a hedge
- 50-plus jobs to do in your garden this month
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- Be in the running to WIN one of 20 pairs of Blundstone boots, valued at up to $159 a pair
- Save 34% off the normal cover price when you subscribe for two years, or save 30% when you subscribe for one year
- Subscribe for six months and receive six issues for only $32
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Have every issue conveniently delivered straight to your door
- Enjoy automatic Subs Club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- It’s a great way to treat yourself or someone special
Visit mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.