Get set for warmer weather with plants that can take the heat, install a birdbath or mini pond to keep visiting wildlife happy, and find out whether moon planting and other gardening theories really work.
The classic yellow and cream frangipani is beautiful, but check out the kaleidoscope of other colours available, from hot pink to nearly black, to brighten and scent your garden.
Water for wildlife
In these dry times, spare a thought for the animals in your neighbourhood and set up a mini pond or birdbath that will attract them to your garden for a welcome respite.
Fact or fiction?
Moon planting, companion planting, and singing to your plants… do these popular gardening theories work? Professor Tim Entwisle unpicks the science behind the claims.
Pressed for success
Olives produce fruit for table eating or for pressing into oil, but the trees are handsome garden additions in their own right. Tino Carnevale shares his favourite varieties, growing tips, and a traditional curing recipe.
Plants for a Mediterranean climate
Sophie Thomson nominates 10 of her favourite flowering plants to handle hot, dry summers and frosty winters. There are great choices here for other gardeners facing harsh conditions over the next few months.
Looking for a colourful, easy-to-grow garden shrub? Weigela is an old favourite, and a classic choice for larger gardens.
Over and above
Don’t have a backyard? Don’t worry, says Jackie French. There’s plenty of scope for above-ground gardens, from walls of hanging baskets to vegie-producing room dividers.
Also in this issue
- Round out your bromeliad collection with a dyckia or two.
- Check out a Coffs Harbour home with a chic new garden.
- Get out and about to a garden show with the big spring calendar.
- Find out what jobs need doing in the garden this month.
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine, or renew or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- Receive a BONUS gift – your choice of a Gardening Australia diary or calendar, valued at $19.95 each
- Save $71 off the normal cover price when you subscribe for two years, or save $31 when you subscribe for one year
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Have every issue conveniently delivered straight to your door
- Enjoy automatic Subs Club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- It’s a great way to treat yourself or someone special
Visit mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.