Choose and order your spring-flowering bulbs, plant up an autumn flower pot with gorgeous perennials, discover the perfect plants for coastal gardens, and follow a day in the life of a busy family who grow and raise much of their own food.
Best bulb combos & growing tips
Find out which bulbs to pick and plant for a long-flowering display and see how to combine them (and other plants) for dazzling combos. Floriade’s head gardener also shares his favourite bulbs and expert tips.
Daffodils for hot, dry summers
Are your cold winters matched by even hotter summers? Through decades of trial and error, Jackie French has worked out which daffs can handle both extremes – some are still going strong after 40 years!
The (slightly) wild garden
There’s enormous joy to be found in cultivating a little wildness in the garden, and Michael McCoy has some cracking suggestions for which plants and plant combos can serve it up in style.
Autumn flower pot
Here’s an easy step-by-step project to do this weekend. Use chalk paint (no primer required!) and pretty perennials in shades of pink, lilac and blue for instant colour.
Botanic garden Friends
Forge new social connections, and enjoy the satisfactions of contributing something to your local botanic garden by joining its Friends group. Explore what these groups have to offer, and how to be involved.
Living off the land
See how Marcelle Nankervis and her husband and children juggle the demands of work and school with the upkeep of a garden and hobby farm that supplies vegetables, fruit, honey, eggs and even meat for the family table.
Gardening on the coast
Seaside gardeners grapple with salt, soil and wind on a daily basis. Costa meets two horticulturists who care for the pocket parks around Sydney’s Bondi Beach, and they’ve got some great tips to share.
Also in this issue
- Plant radishes, pick and dry macadamias, and cut up jackfruit like a pro
- Renovate leggy gardenias now for spring blooms later
- Three ways to stop caterpillars from eating your brassicas
- Re-pot an anthurium that’s outgrown its pot
- Get stuck into 50-plus jobs in your garden this month
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- Save up to 39% off the normal cover price this month! Subscribe for two years and receive 24 issues plus 2 bonus issues for only $119
- Or subscribe for 1 year and receive 12 issues plus 1 bonus issue for only $63
- Never miss an issue and receive your copy straight to your door
- Go into the Subs Club draw to WIN great prizes every month
- You won’t find a better subscription deal through any other service
- It’s a great way to treat yourself or someone special
Visit mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.