Discover the wonderful worlds of peonies, flannel flowers and zinnias, start a food-waste revolution with Costa, help save Australia’s frogs, and learn how to maximise your tomato, passionfruit and ginger crops.
They may be fussy and demanding, but the gloriously voluptuous blooms these herbaceous plants bring to cool-climate gardens are well worth the investment.
exclusive sneak peek
In his new book, Costa’s World, Costa brings his signature enthusiasm to all things garden related. This extract looks at ways to build soil biodiversity by reusing domestic food waste.
where are all the frogs?
Urban frogs are in decline, but there are plenty of ways to help these special critters, including building a fun ‘frog hotel’ in your own backyard!
caring for potted crops
Containers dry out quickly in the warmer months, so here are 10 simple tricks to help your potted vegies and herbs stay cool and thrive.
an artist’s garden
Legendary artist Hans Heysen’s paintings evoke the beauty of Australia’s landscapes, and the garden at his home in South Australia is a homage to the source of his inspiration.
tasmanian floral paradise
Meet a gardening couple with a lifelong passion for plant-breeding and cut flowers, who’ve transformed their home in north-west Tasmania into a floral extravaganza.
in the patch
Grow a passionfruit vine, get the best results from your seeds, plant a bumper harvest of top-notch tomatoes, and check out what crops to sow and plant now.
Also in this issue
- Michael McCoy celebrates the fleeting yet profound joy of fragrant flowering plants.
- Jackie French gets in touch with her inner child to choose the perfect, fairy-friendly plants for your garden!
- Phil Dudman’s step-by-step guide to growing a bumper harvest of ginger in a pot.
- Meet a Sydney ‘urban farmer’ who’s making the most of his local community garden.
- Learn all about fabulous flannel flowers and why zinnias are making a welcome comeback.
PLUS Roll up your sleeves and get cracking on this month’s 50 gardening tasks.
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine today or renew or extend your subscription for one year or more and receive a bonus gift: a 2022 ABC Gardening Australia diary or calendar valued up to $19.99.
- Save $63 off the normal cover price when you subscribe for two years, or save $28 when you subscribe for one year
- Never miss an issue and receive your copy straight to your door
- Go into the Subs Club draw to WIN great prizes every month
- It’s a great way to treat yourself or someone special
Visit mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.