Brush up on key gardening skills, get your head around fertilisers, and embrace spring planting with bananas, hibiscus, tree ferns, and cool little groundcovers to nestle up close to steppers.
Back to basics: 6 essential skills
Armed with these six key gardening skills, explained in step-by-steps, you are set for most tasks in the garden. Learn how to buy a healthy plant, plant correctly, make great compost, take a cutting, divide a clump, and prune without fear.
Don’t get lost in the jungle of organic versus inorganic, liquid versus pelletised, fast-acting versus slow-release. Find out what to feed your plants with, and how each type works.
One of the joys of spring is a bunch of poppies. You can grow these at home in most zones, in a sunny garden bed or bright spot on the balcony. Discover the various types, and the best time to sow seed in your area.
So hip to be hibiscus
The iconic hibiscus flower is an increasingly prevalent graphic in clothing design and interior decorating. Hibiscus are back in fashion, and a new range of plants is available in garden centres.
Future-proof your garden against unreliable rainfall and water restrictions. This first installment of a water series takes you through the process of installing a rainwater tank so you can keep your garden growing.
Plants to surround steppers
Steppers create pathways and connect different zones in the garden. They can be more than functional when edged with soft, tufty groundcovers, some with tiny flowers, others with fragrant leaves.
Learn how to grow your own, follow steps to making a banana circle, and find out which varieties make for easy bagging and picking.
Also in this issue
- Transform a shady, underused spot with a tree fern
- Pick up expert advice on growing tomatoes in pots
- When in Rome… visit the Garden of Ninfa, the most romantic in the world
- Dig into 50+ jobs in your garden this month
- Receive a BONUS gift – your choice of a Gardening Australia diary or calendar, valued at $19.95 each
- Save $71 off the normal cover price when you subscribe for two years, or save $31 when you subscribe for one year
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Have every issue conveniently delivered straight to your door
- Enjoy automatic Subs Club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- It’s a great way to treat yourself or someone special
Visit mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.