February is all about keeping your cool… Cover bare earth with native groundcovers, potter in the shade with hoyas and mints, and see how to create a tropical garden (even if you don’t live in the tropics).
Hang a hoya
A favourite from the ’70s is wowing us all over again with its fabulous trailing foliage, waxy blooms, and array of forms and habits. Find your favourites, and learn how to keep them looking glossy and gorgeous.
Make a tropical garden
Fancy a bit more of that relaxed holiday vibe in your own backyard? See how to create a tropical-style garden even if you don’t live in the tropics.
Amazing air plants
Meet an innovative artist and gardener who’s using air plants (tillandsias) to create living screens, and mitigate the effects of a hotter climate. And if you’ve got the patience, see how to propagate them from seed.
Native groundcovers for every spot
Low-maintenance Australian groundcovers require minimal water, provide habitat for wildlife and look spectacular. Here are options for most situations, from tumbling over walls to filling shady spots.
Every gardener makes mistakes, but forewarned is forearmed! Here are some common blunders and tips for avoiding them.
Beautiful blue perennials
Pretty up your summer and autumn garden with these gorgeous perennials in shades of blue: sea holly, Russian sage and blue beard.
Gardening on contaminated soil
Builder’s rubble, cement wash-off and heavy metals can all spoil your quest for a flourishing garden. Here’s how to identify problems and limit exposure.
Grow your own
Ramp up the aromatics in your garden and kitchen with one of many delicious mints; see how to string chillies up for storing; and sow brassicas now in punnets.
Also in this issue
- Preserve summer fruits and vegies
- Finish ripening late-season tomatoes
- Get stuck into 50+ seasonal jobs
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine or extend your subscription today and enjoy these benefits:
- Enter the draw to WIN one of five Gardena gardening packs, worth over $2,969 per pack
- Save 34% off the normal cover price when you subscribe for two years, or save 30% when you subscribe for one year
- Subscribe for 12 months and receive 12 issues for only $63
- Never miss an issue of Australia’s #1 gardening magazine
- Have every issue conveniently delivered straight to your door
- Enjoy automatic Subs Club membership, which includes entry into the draw to WIN great prizes every month
- It’s a great way to treat yourself or someone special
Visit mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.