Check out the latest in cinerarias and wattles, pot up some on-trend indoor plants, then rug up and head outside for some family-friendly projects.
Flowers for winter colour
Cinerarias have had a makeover. These tried-and-true winter favourites now come in lower-growing, more compact forms, and in yummy new colours beyond the classic blues and purples.
New look wattles
There’s still a place for the good old green and gold, but check out the latest wattles in many shapes and textures to suit home gardens everywhere.
Grab your tools and follow the step-by-step instructions for these family-friendly projects. Josh and his kids make a hanger of ‘take what you want’ nesting materials for local birds; Millie makes log pots and turns an old metal bucket into a funky container; and Tino heads outside for a blazing good time round the ‘charbecue’ – resulting in a rich by-product for his soil.
Crimes against compost
Does your compost heap have a bad case of the splodgies? Or the glugs? Jackie French reads out the charge sheet and tells you how to make amends.
Indoor plant darlings
Mini monsteras, patterned foliage and shiny, trailing leaves… these on-trend plants are just what you need to make your own indoor glamour pot. Easy!
Visit a property overlooking the Murray River that, with a lot of hard work, has been lovingly transformed from scrubland into a beautiful, productive garden
In the patch
Choose or make a good potting mix for your vegies, plant a bare-rooted plum, force rhubarb, get to the bottom of a choko that won’t grow (weird, but it happens), and see how to grow and eat wombok or Chinese cabbage.
Also in this issue
- Puddles, frost, slow growth, lack of colour… how to manage winter woes
- Cow manure versus cow manure blend: what’s the difference?
- From aquaponics to straw bale gardens – meet a passionate food grower
- Travel to a surprising garden in Dunedin, in the south of New Zealand
PLUS Get stuck into more than 50 jobs in your garden this month
Subscribe to ABC Gardening Australia magazine today or renew or extend your subscription for one year or more and go in the draw to win one of 3 Family Getaway Packages at Jamala Wildlife Lodge in Canberra:
- Be in the running to WIN one of three Getaway Packages, with a total value of $12,150!
- Save $63 off the normal cover price when you subscribe for two years, or save $28 when you subscribe for one year
- Never miss an issue and receive your copy straight to your door
- Go into the Subs Club draw to WIN great prizes every month
- It’s a great way to treat yourself or someone special
Visit mymagazines.com.au to subscribe.