Spring is finally here and all your preparation is about to pay off. Here are a few jobs you can do this month.
- Start picking and keep on picking sweet peas – the more you pick, the more you get!
- Allow your cyclamens to dry out now that they are heading into their usual dormant period
- Use a garden fork to spike and open up any compacted soil that you find around established trees
- Prune and tidy wattles after they have finished blooming
- Spread aged manure mixed with brown lawn clippings or sugarcane mulch around existing shrubs
- Celebrate spring by choosing a new specimen plant, ornament or piece of furniture for your garden
- Trim off frost-damaged foliage after frosts have finished, then feed to encourage rapid replacement growth
- Plant summer-flowering perennials in borders and containers
- Weed and fertilise outdoor pots, then top with a mulch layer of scoria, stones or decorative pebbles
- Choose and plant summer-flowering bulbs, such as belladonna, pineapple lily (Eucomis) and zephyranthes
You’ll find more than 50 gardening jobs or projects to do this month, including step-by-step guides to dividing canna lilies and planting spring beans, in the September 2021 issue of ABC Gardening Australia magazine, out now.