Growing sunflowers is a great way to get the kids outside and into the garden. Begin your sunflower adventure by choosing the variety to grow. Visit a garden centre, or buy seed online, making sure you select from Australian suppliers to avoid any quarantine issues. Your choice will be governed by the available growing space and what you want the plants to do. If space is tight, choose a dwarf cultivar that will be happy in a pot.
- Choose a sunny spot for your sunflowers to grow.
- Dig over the bed and mix in some compost.
- Push the seeds into the soil to a depth of about 2.5cm. Sunflower seeds are manageable and easy for little fingers to handle.
- Water seeds daily until the seedlings appear.
- Add a layer of sugarcane mulch to keep the roots cool and moist as the weather gets warmer. Teach the kids to poke their fingers through the mulch to check when watering is required.
- Feed regularly with liquid fertiliser, following the packet directions, to support the plants’ rapid growth.
Learn more about growing sunflowers, including varieties that kids will love, in the October 2020 issue of ABC Gardening Australia magazine, out now.